Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

November Currently and a Handwriting Freebie

How are your students doing with their handwriting this year? I'm happy to say that mine are doing pretty well. With some direct instruction, weekly practice, and a fun incentive, my students are motivated to write their best every single day.

I've been using these handwriting booklets. 

Here's how I teach handwriting: 

First, I taught my students how to form each letter, using the alphabet chart page in the booklet, stressing which letters are tall, which ones are small, and which ones fall. We discussed how we start writing from the top and how we don't trace over our writing. Then, I showed them how to complete a page properly. Now, whenever they are done with their station work, they can choose to do a page or two in their handwriting booklet as an "I'm done, what can I do now?" activity. You can read more about this here. Believe it or not, they LOVE to work in their booklets. I am using the booklets for kindergarten, first grade, and second grade. This is my first year doing formal handwriting and I couldn't be happier with the results. The best part is, it is done completely independently. And, they work at their own pace. They are very motivated to complete the book, earn a certificate, and be known as a neat hand writer!


As an incentive to complete the book correctly, I have promised my students a certificate upon completion. First, I assess their handwriting, and, if I'm pleased with it, they earn this little cutie...
Just click on the image above for the free assessment sheet and certificate. I hope your students are as motivated as mine to write neatly!

Here's my November Currently...


Obviously, my mind is on the people affected by Hurricane Sandy. I have a strong love for NY because I was born and raised there. Watching the news is heart wrenching and I pray that everyone gets the assistance they deserve and the strength they need to pick up the broken pieces and start again.

What's on your mind right now? 
Link up with Farley over at Oh' Boy 4th Grade, and let us know!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lori! Just found you over at Farleys! I love how you wrote about those hurting back East. Your heart was poured out in this, and my heart was warmed just reading your care & concern! I'm with ya girl!
    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have such a big heart and my thoughts and prayers are with the east coast too... Mother Nature's pure strength and destruction always amazes me.... thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your freebies as always Lori!... i appreciate your concern for us on the east coast...cant believe how crazy it got in one night!!

    justwildaboutteaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had some floods here in Australia two years ago that caused extensive and widespread damage. I can only image however, the damage that Sandy has caused in a city has large as NY.

    Your handwriting pack looks really cute!

    Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to get a chance to do something for those affected by Sandy. I am happy to report that my class this year has the best handwriting I've seen in years. Huge difference when they are taught how-to form letters correctly.
    Tania
    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am from LI originally, my cousin is still there and without power, and they were told, they wouldn't have power until after Thanksgiving--it is crazy.
    I just wanted to let you know I just posted about the SCOOT game (amongst some other things). I lOVE IT!!!I can't believe I have never heard of it until now. but like they say "better late than never" here is the link:
    http://tales-of-a-first-grade-teacher.blogspot.com/2012/11/flashback-friday-and-giveaway.html
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I found you on the November Currently! I am in Southern California and there is a little chill in the air but it will be back in the 90s by Monday- I can't wait until actual FALL!
    Come and check out my current Currently!
    Layla
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely feel the way that you are feeling about all of the destruction of Sandy. I have several family members/friends in New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey who were affected, but luckily spared of any devastation. I am hoping to help in any way that I can also. You have such a great heart Lori. :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful heart you have my friend! I hope that all your friends and family in NY are okay. Thank you for sharing your handwriting booklet, I need to make something like this for my kiddos! Our handwriting is horrible! :)
    Lisa
    Fourth and Ten
    Like Fourth and Ten on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the freebie! Love your caring heart! You are so sweet!

    Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kiddos could definitely use some serious practice with handwriting!

    Also, saw you hit a pretty big milestone on TPT...congrats!!!

    Natalie
    Teachery Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the handwriting packet and your super cute certificate!!!
    My heart is heavy for the NE also.

    Hugs to you as well!
    Kelly
    Beg, Borrow, Steal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, Rascal Flatts are my FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the freebie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing freebie Lori! I posted on my blog a few days ago a link to a site that is helping teachers recover from Sandy. It is an easy way to help out!

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love to read them!

Scholastic Teacher Book Wizard