Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Find a mistake and get a FREE product!

I love to create activities for my students because I know exactly what they like and what they need. I spend a lot of time creating and sometimes, I make mistakes. A typo here, a missing word there. Even though I carefully proof my work and someone else looks it over for me too, a mistake occasionally slips by. It's usually my students who find the mistake. And when they do, I tell them they can clip up. (I use the clip chart.) They have become quite proficient little editors! And then the first thing I do when I get home is fix the mistake and re-upload the product to my teaching store. I probably should leave out the part about how I freak out all day until I can get home and fix it! I take such pride in my work and take any mistake very seriously.

My students find mistakes in my activities, mistakes in our Journeys activities, mistakes in other teachers' activities. Let's face it, we are all human and we are allowed to make mistakes. After all, isn't that what we like to instill in our students? No one is perfect, right? I know I'm not!

Just this week, my first graders noticed I had the wrong reading target skill up on my focus board. So, if you purchased my Journeys Through the Year...First Grade Edition, you will want to download it again. And, my kindergartners noticed they were missing a "g" when we were building -ag words. So, if you purchased my Let's Build Words...Kindergarten Word Families Edition, you will want to download that again! Yup! It happens!

So, here is the deal I'd like to make with you. If you purchase any of my products and you notice a mistake, please EMAIL me and let me know. And if the mistake hasn't already been fixed, then I will offer you a free item from my store, up to $5.00 in value, to show my appreciation for bringing it to my attention.

Please do not leave the mistake in the Q&A section of Teachers Pay Teachers or in your feedback. Discrete is always the way to go! That's what I do when I notice a mistake in someone's product. 

Oh! One more thing! Before you email me to let me know about a mistake, please check to see if I caught it first. To do this, go to TpT and click on My TpT. When you do this, the following screen opens up...

Click on My Purchases to see all the products you bought. Scan them and look for the words "Newly Revised Re-Download." Under that, it says "Description of Revision." Click on that to see what I changed. I will always write the mistake I fixed. If you don't see this, then my students probably haven't caught the mistake yet and you should email me to let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you! I think! LOL! 

Don't forget to enter my Lights and Sounds Buzzers Giveaway!
These buzzers are so much fun!

18 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Lori! We are all human and capable of making errors (even when the packets have been proof-read again and again). I agree with what you say about e-mailing rather than leaving negative feedback on a product - I would really appreciate that too!

    Great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Glad you liked my post!
      Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. That is a fantastic idea! I always appreciate the discretion and understanding that a lot of work goes in to products so mistakes can/do happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura! Creating is a second job for me and I take is very seriously. And I take every comment to heart. Thanks for stopping by!
      Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. That's what I do too. But did you know that if someone contacts you on your q&a page, you can delete it after you have read and responded to it. That way it doesn't leave a mark on your reputation. :) I usually only leave up comments that don't have to do with my mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,

      Right after I read your comment, I went and deleted a ton of questions that really didn't need to be there anymore. I can't thank you enough for that great idea!
      Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Thank you. I agree with everything you said.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO true, Lori! Thanks for the great post! I just had a buyer leave a nasty comment yesterday (and a rather unflattering set of stars) over a very simple fix! Fingers crossed TpT adds private messaging soon!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Molly! I've been there...
      Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. A great post! So far, I've not had any negative feedback on TPT but sadly there will always be some buyers who can't be pleased, no matter what a seller does.

    If anyone needs a proof reader, I used to do editing and proof reading before I started teaching, so if you or any of your readers want a TPT product checked out, give me a shout. I'm happy to help, so long as it's not complex math!! And if I miss something, my son always spots my mistakes (and everyone else's) :)

    practicallypenniless [AT] yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about your editing experience. I have a proofreader, but it's always good to know there's another one around. You never know!
      Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. You said it so perfectly! Thank you for the great idea and for sharing your experience!
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love to read them!

Scholastic Teacher Book Wizard