Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Made It...December Edition!


It's the first Monday of the month, so it's time to link up with Tara, over at Fourth Grade Folics
 for Monday Made It!

Monday Made It #1

Today, I'm going to show off an anchor chart I made to go with a cute gingerbread activity.

gingerbread anchor chart

I don't usually make cute anchor charts because, if I can't create it on the computer, it's just not going to be cute at all! This anchor chart went with the activity you see below. It is free, so just click on the image and you can download it for yourself.

First, I gave each child a gingerbread cookie to sample. We brainstormed descriptive attributes and wrote them in the bubbles. If they were synonyms, we wrote them in the same bubble. We also brainstormed strong verbs that mean the same as ate, and wrote them on the chart, as well. The children chose their favorite descriptive words, and wrote them on their own chart. Then, we ate another cookie, and mapped out the order in which we bit into the cookie. We colored a gingerbread cookie to show the order in which we ate it. Finally, we used our coloring sheets, strong verbs, and descriptive attributes to write an essay titled "How I eat a gingerbread cookie." Year after year, this activity is always a favorite and is talked about for months after.

005

Monday Made It #2

Another gingerbread activity I like to do with my students is to have them trace a gingerbread pattern on brown paper and use fabric paint to decorate it. They love the way it dries all puffy and the colors are brilliant. Here is my example:

003

Monday Made It #3

My class is addicted to the game Scoot. I guess you can say that I am, too! I even blogged about it here. This weekend, I made two new Scoot games to help practice and assess my students' knowledge of contractions.

scoot bundle preview with logo

And, a fun contraction matching game with a winter theme.

Cocoa Contractions Game preview

Since I don't teach grammar in isolation, I have to make sure to teach all the standards during my writing mini lessons and station time. I try to create fun games and activities to cover every single grammar skill so my students can practice them each week.

20 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute!!!! Love it all! So adorable and such a cute anchor chart! I have to make one tonight on inferring and don't think it will be cute:/ That whole gingerbread goodness looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for linking up:)))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to find something I made that's not done on my computer and I was so excited when I was able to link up. I love Monday Made It! Thanks for stopping by, Tara! Good luck on your anchor chart!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. I love your anchor chart! It is adorable! I love teaching about gingerbread every year.

    Joni
    KinderKids Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Gingerbread anchor chart! You did such a great job! You don't give yourself enough credit!
    Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you kind! Trust me, I am not crafty at all! But, thanks for the kind words.
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Your anchor chart is soo cute!! Love the scoot games too, and of course the great gingerbread activity. I guess what I'm trying to say is you're awesome! :)

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeAnne, you always know just what to say to make a girl smile. I think you're awesome, too!!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. Okay, your anchor chart is ADORABLE! You are a great artist! As for me, I can't draw AT ALL! REALLY! My students always ask me what it is that I am trying to draw so I can only imagine if I drew a Gingerbread man!

    Ѽ Alessia
    Mrs. Albanese’s Kindergarten Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alessia! I had the clip art right next to me and totally copied it. You would have thought I invented candy! That's how excited the kids were. LOL!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for such a wonderful freebie! I love your adorable anchor chart too!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the gingerbread activity. Looks like a great way to get descriptive language from the students.

    What i have learned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! And, you're right! That's why I love this activity. It covers so many skills.
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  8. Ahhh love your anchor chart... Your handwriting is just so neat!! =)

    justwildaboutteaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog, and I am so glad I have found it!

    I am your newest follower :)

    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love to read them!

Scholastic Teacher Book Wizard