Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Writing Menu Display

The other day, Lory, from Fun For First, made my day when she blogged about my writing menu display. This visual display contains 18 different writing activities for my students to choose from when they are done with their station work. Sometimes, I use it as an actual station.
Lory had an amazing idea to number the posters and then number the baskets where the templates are kept. I immediately sprung into action and did the same thing in my classroom. Here is the final result:

004

Sorry about the restroom sign! Going to the restroom is NOT one of my writing choices!
Here is where I keep the writing templates.

008

Posters 16 and 17 are not included in my writing menu product. However, you can purchase the message books separately here. If you have the message books and the writing menu and would like the poster, just send me an email, and I'll send it to you.
If you have my writing menu posters and want to number them, too, you can grab mine by clicking on the image below. I printed them landscape to get the larger numbers on the wall and I printed them portrait to get the smaller numbers for the mailbox slots. I used binder clips to secure them. You can read more about that here.

Numbers for I can write a...menu

The children are really enjoying this new system. Thanks for the great idea, Lory!

I have another mailbox system in my classroom. This one has a dual function. My first graders use them as mailboxes and I also use them to hold the writing activities for my kindergartners. When they are finished with their station work, there are tons of exciting writing activities waiting for them in the mailbox. You can check them out here:


I loved Lory's idea so much and saw how organized it kept the templates and how easy it was for the children to find what they wanted, that I decided to do the number system for these activity sheets, as well. For these, though, I have no posters. So, I put an example of each sheet in a binder and numbered the sheets and the corresponding mailbox slot. Now, my students look through the binder, find what they want to do, note the number, and grab their sheet out of the mailbox.

010

020

025

No more searching and searching. No more taking out the wrong sheet and putting it back in the wrong slot. The binder also serves as an example of how each sheet should be completed.

012015
016019
I am really loving this! And, so are my students!
Please note that all the writing templates shown in this blog post have been updated through the years and are even better now!




21 comments:

  1. Lori- I know you commented about loving Deedee and Deanna's writing unit too, but I also love this unit. I purchased it as well and use it during my literacy centers! The kiddos love it!

    Sarah
    Kindergarten Korner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I'm so glad you love it as much as I do! Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. I totally want to be in your classroom!!! :)
    Love all the cute posters and ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Kristin! You know I feel the same about you!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I love the posters. They are on my wish list. Maybe Cyber Monday:) I would love to hear more about your reading stations you mentioned. It looks like you use Harcourt Reading too...

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tammy! What reading comment are you referring to?
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of putting templates into #'d mailboxes. That is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jessica! It's really working out well!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. I love everything about this post! The posters, the writing station activities, the way you organize them!! If I were a kid in your class writing would be my favorite time of the day! :)

    ❤ -Stephanie
    Falling Into First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice of you to say, Stephanie! Writing time is definitely MY favorite time of the day!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. Lori,
    Let me begin by saying this was one of the best posts I've read in awhile! I love how everything fits together so neatly and efficiently for our little ones! I teach first grade and have been using Daily 5. This year, I have added a menu wall for Work on Writing. It works well but after seeing the additional choices you have in your unit, I am definitely adding it to my menu! I love how everything is numbered and wouldn't you know, I have an extra stacker system just waiting to be put to good use!
    I am definitely giving you A++ for a fabulous post today! I love learning new things that are REAListic and easy to implement no matter what time of year it is! Thank you for the inspiration and I love being a follower!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thanks for taking the time to write such a great comment. I am looking forward to using the Daily 5 next year because my entire Work on Writing station is already done! My students are really enjoying the menu and I am loving how independent it makes them.

      Thanks for stopping by and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. like I said...my writing guru....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of that! I've always wanted to be a guru at something! Thanks for everything, Jen!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  8. This is so incredible Lori! WOWzers!!!!

    I would love to be a little elf in your room and see all of this amazing-ness in action! Thank you so much for helping us encourage our little authors to be the best they can be...you are an inspiration! =)

    Happy Thanksgiving sweet friend! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thanks for the incredibly sweet comments! You are too kind! And, you are always welcome to come and visit me anytime!
      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  9. I love this Lori! On my Wish list! You have always been such an inspiration for me!

    Aloha,
    Corinna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to use this in my classroom this year! I absolutely adore it and I LOVE the updated version! Thanks so much!
    Nicole
    First Grade OWLS
    nicbunt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I absolutely love your writing station center! I can't seem to print the numbers thou. Seems they were moved. Could you please send me the link?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love to read them!

Scholastic Teacher Book Wizard