Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Star, Star, Wish

I am a writing teacher and a very important part of my class is sharing. It is unbelievable how much a child can learn just be sharing his/her work and listening to others share their work, as well. Once a a child has finished reading his/her piece to the class, we do what's called star, star, wish. I did not come up with this myself and I'm not really sure where/when I picked this up, but, it is a wonderful part of our sharing routine. The sharer calls on two children to give him/her a star, which would be something the writer did well. "I think you wrote a very strong lead." "You used very strong verbs." They learn really fast not to say things like "I like your story." "I like your pictures." They must be specific in their compliments and they must be ready to say why they like this particular aspect of the story. Then, the sharer calls on one child to give a wish, or something that the writer could have done to make his/her story even better. Again, the children need to be specific and ready to explain exactly what they would like to see the next time. Star, star, wish is always a great learning experience for my little writers. I would like to share the sign I made to hang on my board to remind my students about star, star, wish. I hope you find it useful in your classroom, too. 
Thank you so much for all the kind comments about my blog. I can't begin to tell you how appreciative I am!


Freebie Fridays

20 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Thank you for sharing :)

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! We call it "2 Stars and a Wish" in my room. :)

    Mary
    Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I have never heard it called this before, but have seen the smiley, smiley, frown or thumbs up, up, down before. I like this method much better because the "needs improving" category is much less "hurtful" sounding. :)

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used this idea for years with writing. It works great for when students share work. I will have to add this poster next year. Thanks

    I also call it 2 stars and wish. I believe I got from I got the idea from Mrs. Venesko on ProTeacher. (beachbum). But I could be wrong. I get so many ideas from different sources. Sometimes I just forget where.

    http://secondgradelockerroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing. I'll be adding this to my writing next year.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just down loaded your Star, Star Wish poster. I have never heard of this, but am definitely going to use it this coming school year. I am your newest follower.
    Barbara
    happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also a great way to promote oral language for all of my ESL students! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jen
    Jen's Kinder Kids

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sign...we also use 2 Stars and a Wish. I've also heard of 3-Ps (students call on someone to give a Plus (something good), Ponder (something they wonder - a question), and a Polish (something to improve the piece).

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this idea! What a great self-esteem booster.
    www.kindertrips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you all like the idea and poster. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas, as well. I loved reading all the comments.
    Ѽ Lori

    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Star, Star, Wish idea! It makes the share time easier for kinders. Thanks for sharing the idea!!

    Erica

    Sprinkles to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea and I love your blog!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea! I can't wait to try it with my kiddos when school starts back! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!!
    Michelle
    mrsmorrowskindergarteners.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the comments!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute idea:) I will definitely be using this next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blog. I follow Samson's Classroom on facebook.
    kpodwika@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Love the star, star, wish idea! I don't have my kids share their constructive criticism because I worried about the hurt feelings problem. This would be an easy way to incorporate the concept! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lori,

    Love Two Stars and a Wish. Went to download your poster but Dropbox said that it had been moved or deleted. Is it posted somewhere else?

    Thanks,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paula!

      I fixed the link so you can download it. Enjoy!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love to read them!

Scholastic Teacher Book Wizard